This June has been quite an amazing time to take stock and finish the year well. For our Messy Church, we as a parish have thanked the team and their families for their support and hard work through the year with a BBQ and 10-pin bowling.
This year we also introduced a Review sheet asking team members to think about the year and let us know what needs to be looked at … below is their feedback – it makes for very interesting reading.
Remember these are our teenagers & adults together – meeting each month to ensure a messy church event happens … to have such positive feedback is wonderful and humbling. Oh for feedback like this across the board at church. Messy Church works! 🙂
What was your highlight for the year?
- Watching children enjoy the activities, especially the messy ones! And the torn curtain activity
- The activities
- Playing the piano
- Bit hard to say as have only been at a couple of sessions – but talking to the participants as we do the craft is always fun
- Talking to new people during activity time
- I love seeing the children engage in the story every month
- Very difficult to choose – Easter and Christmas Lighthouse
- Water pistol painting
- The highlight for me is seeing all the young people helping to run Lighthouse
- What I learn about God, trusting Him + the surprises every time.
- Today, so many people who didn’t go to the beach but came here joyfully instead!
- Watching the children interact during the stories and prayers (some more than others as is normal) they seem to embrace it all, it isn’t something I see a lot in church.
- The mealtime together. I think that’s been really special.
- I actually really enjoyed telling the story one month – which surprised me – & I learned a lot from preparing to do this.
- Interacting with the families and getting to know them
- The activities
- The groupwork with kids listening and the parents learning as well as the kids
- I always enjoy the worship/songs. Seeing new people coming.
- Seeing the young people want to become leaders and be part of the team.
Something you have learned this year?
- Planting seeds in children’s lives is very important
- More about God
- That I love helping
- I’ve been reminded of just how good LH is as a model of family ministry. I’m intrigued by the idea of messy Vintage too…
- the children love the most difficult activites! They also remember what activities/stories we done last month, which is good for the follow on from Christmas to Easter etc
- Reminded to keep persevering, even though the numbers here might be small at times God is working in people lives always.
- Finalised my sound and slides skills
- I really enjoy talking with the young people and learning what makes them tick.
- People who come to Lighthouse appreciate even the smallest things so everything we do is valued by someone in some way – very encouraging!!
- Not to panic it all gets done
- That God can use absolutely anything to speak to people – I love seeing people being blown away by even tiny details in the story that I would have overlooked.
- That a team can do so much – even when we each only do a small amount – but it all adds to something great & each part really matters.
- About how to engage with the people who come and make connections
- I have discovered new talents
- That the kids are more interested than I thought
- Not sure I’m answering the question but I think it’s been a very clever idea to get leaders to introduce their activity. Helps grow confidence and develop leadership skills.